Lexis Practice Advisor® Canada
PRACTICE INSIGHTS NEWSLETTER
September - October 2018
1. MEET RACHEL GOLDENBERG
Rachel Goldenberg is the Content Lawyer for the Employment module of Lexis Practice Advisor Canada. She began her career practicing litigation at WeirFoulds LLP, covering a broad range of legal issues with an emphasis on all facets of employment law.
Rachel is a die-hard Beatles fan. While she wishes she had been able to watch them perform together live, she had the amazing fortune of sitting front row at a Paul McCartney concert. Her favourite Beatles song is In My Life.
2. PRACTICE AREA SPECIFIC UPDATES
- Commercial Real Estate – Leasing: The Commercial Module contains extensive content regarding commercial leasing for landlords and tenants, from practice notes on essential elements, parties, default and remedies, to a wide variety of lease precedents including ground, office and retail leases.
- Municipal and Land Use Planning – Municipal Agreements: The newest addition to the Commercial Module is the Municipal and Land Use Planning content designed specifically for municipal transactions. For example, the Municipal Agreements section contains practice notes, precedents and checklists regarding municipal agreements. It also includes general information on confidentiality.
- A reminder that on October 1, 2018, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan will be changing the minimum wage rate for employees. For further information on minimum wage rates across Canada and to make sure that you are in compliance, see the table Minimum Wage by Jurisdiction.
- For more detailed information on employees’ minimum entitlements, see our Minimum Employment Standards subtopic, which provides a comprehensive summary of entitlements in Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario and Federal employers, including information about wages, hours of work, overtime, vacations, leaves of absence, and terminations.
INSOLVENCY & RESTRUCTURING
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY & TECHNOLOGY
- Understand market trends and locate specific language to use in IP and Tech agreements – all of which is available in Transactions Search Powered by Intelligize. Use the prefiltered Intellectual Property & Technology Agreements search, found on the homepage of the IP module (click on the "Key Resources" tab or scroll down to the “Lexis Practice Advisor Presents" pod).
LITIGATION AND DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- LPA’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution module has added 10 new Litigation Process Flowcharts. The Flowcharts help you through all the litigation steps including mediation, discovery, experts and dismissal of an action.
- LPA’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution team have secured a key contributor straight from the bench! Beginning September 1st, Master Linda Abrams will act as Advisor and key contributor to the Litigation and Dispute Resolution module. Master Abrams was a well-respected civil litigator before her appointment to the bench in 1999.
MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS
- A new collection of Transactions Search sample searches is available under the Key Resources tab providing access to numerous precedents and clauses relevant to the Canadian market. For instance, see Sample Search -- Arrangement Agreements governed by Canadian law for over 400 arrangement agreement precedents downloadable in word format.
- Certain practice notes and precedents now contain embedded links to additional precedents and clauses downloadable in Microsoft Word format through Transactions Search. For instance, see the precedent Voting and Support Agreement.
- Ontario: Find out what you need to know when commencing a medical malpractice action in our Medical Malpractice subtopic.
- British Columbia: Get an inside take on how to handle expert evidence and expert witnesses with our Expert Evidence subtopic.
- A new collection of Transactions Search sample searches is available under the Key Resources tab providing access to numerous precedents and clauses relevant to the Canadian market. For instance, see Sample Search -- Indentures governed by Canadian law for over 700 arrangement agreement precedents downloadable in word format.
- Certain practice notes and precedents now contain embedded links to numerous additional precedents and clauses downloadable in Microsoft Word format through Transactions Search. For instance, see the practice note Drafting and Reviewing an Annual Information Form.
WILLS, TRUSTS & ESTATES
3. QUICK TIPS: FINDING RELATED DOCUMENTS
- Free Family Law Webinar on September 26, 2018: Reduce Risk & Maximize Client Satisfaction in Your Family Law Practice, Register here
- Are you effectively managing IP in the age of technology? Join LexisNexis® Canada on October 3, 2018 for Intellectual Property in the Age of Technology and Analytics, a free lunch and learn featuring Chris Holt, VP of Patent Analysis at LexisNexis and co-creator of PatentAdvisor. Register here
- 25% off CaseMap® when you purchase two or more licenses. Click here to book a demo. CaseMap is your end-to-end Litigation software. Offer expires September 30, 2018.