We update our classification on an ongoing basis to ensure it reflects recent legal developments, legislative changes, and emerging topics, and to add granularity to important areas.
Our most recently released new legal topics cover concepts such as social media, cryptocurrencies and blockchain, hate propaganda, medical assistance in dying, and cannabis.
Lastly, we continually improve the indexing rules behind our legal topics, to ensure optimal accuracy of search results. Some of these changes focus on ensuring results are in the right context, or on increasing precision generally for a particular area of law. You may see some changes in the number of results for selected Legal Topics as a result of these improvements.
Please find below the list of our most recently released Legal Topics:
- Québec > Irrecevabilité et exclusion de la preuve > Immunités et privilèges
- Criminal Code offences > Offences against person and reputation (214 to 320.1 Cr.C.) > Harassment and threatening (264 to 264.1 Cr.C.) > Criminal harassment or stalking (s. 264 Cr.C.)
- Criminal Code offences > Offences against person and reputation (214 to 320.1 Cr.C.) > Offences relating to conveyances (320.11 to 320.4 Cr.C.) > Impaired operation or operation over the legal limit (320.14, 320.15 and 320.27 to 320.4 Cr.C.) > Roadside screening test (320.27 Cr.C.) > Failing or refusing to provide breath sample (s. 320.15 Cr.C.)
- Criminal Code offences > Offences against person and reputation (214 to 320.1 Cr.C.) > Hate propaganda (ss. 318 – 320.1 Cr.C.)
- Criminal Code offences > Wilful and forbidden acts in respect of certain property (428 to 447.1 Cr.C.) > Mischief (ss. 430 – 432 Cr.C.)
- Criminal Code offences > Offences against person and reputation (214 to 320.1 Cr.C.) > Uttering threat to cause death or serious bodily harm (s. 264.1(1)(a) Cr.C.)
- Common Law > Health care professionals > Treatment, authorization for > Medical assistance in dying (ss. 241.1 – 241.4 Cr.C.)
- Common Law > Public health > Tobacco, cannabis, and vaping products control > Cannabis
- Québec > Santé publique > Aliments et produits de consommation > Cannabis
- Internet > Cryptocurrencies and blockchain
- Internet > Social media
- Common Law > Labour arbitration > Human rights and privacy issues > Discrimination
- Québec > Soins (11 à 25 C.c.Q.) > Soins de fin de vie
- Québec > Soins (11 à 25 C.c.Q.) > Soins de fin de vie > Aide médicale à mourir
- Québec > Soins (11 à 25 C.c.Q.) > Autorisation du tribunal (art. 16 et 23 C.c.Q.)
- Québec > Soins (11 à 25 C.c.Q.) > Consentement (art. 11 – 18 C.c.Q.)
Real Property Law
- Common Law > Mortgages > Mortgage agreement
- Common Law > Mortgages > Mortgagee’s remedies
The Legal Topics feature is a fantastic tool which allows the researcher to search for content which focuses on specific legal concepts set out in the classification scheme. Legal Topics can be accessed from via the following:
- In the top left corner of the screen select Browse, and then select Topics.
- Choose the Canada Flag, and then follow the prompts to select the topic and sub-topics you are interested in.
- As you click on each Legal Topic, an Actions for option appears which allows you to:
- Get documents – retrieves documents indexed with the Legal Topic
- Add topic as a search filter – adds the Legal Topic as a filter, and allows you to search within the Legal Topic.
- Create a topic alert – allows you to create a Legal Topic alert and get notified when new documents dealing with the selected topic are loaded online.